Posted by Bobbie Walkem-Smith at 21/05/2013 14:41:02
GPs are appealing for people in Canterbury, Whistable, Faversham, Herne Bay, Sandwich and Ash to take precautionary measures in case they fall ill over the bank holiday weekend.
A well-stocked medicine cabinet with plasters, antiseptic cream, paracetamol and sun cream will cover most non-emergency situations.
Pharmacists are also trained to provide a range of support and you can simply turn up and ask for advice with no prior appointment.
Pharmacies in NHS Canterbury and Coastal Clinical Commissioning Group area are open late and on Sundays every week, and several pharmacies are open on bank holiday Monday.
Minor injury units treat sprains and strains, broken bones, wound infections, minor burns and scalds, minor head injuries, insect and animal bites, minor eye injuries and injuries to the back, shoulder and chest.
The out-of-hours GP service is also available for people who cannot wait to see a GP until their surgery reopens on Tuesday morning.
Dr Mark Jones, Chair of NHS Canterbury and Coastal Clinical Commissioning Group, said: “Our priority is ensuring patients access the relevant health service which best meets their needs.
“A good start is a well-stocked medicine cabinet at home that can meet the majority of day-to-day problems. This should include paracetamol, antiseptic wipes and cream, sun-cream, plasters, tweezers and saline wash for eyes.
“A&E is for life-threatening emergencies and serious illnesses. Please keep it free for those who really need it.”
• DentaLine – for dental emergencies that cannot wait until your dentist reopens. 01634 890 300. Open evenings and weekends.
• Out-of-hours GP - for urgent help when your GP surgery is closed, phone your GP surgery and listen to the answerphone message.
• Mental Health Matters – for confidential, emotional support 24/7, phone 0800 107 0160.
Minor injuries units are nurse-led services and no appointment is necessary. They are at:
• Estuary View
Estuary View, Whitstable, CT5 3SE
Tel: 01227 284309
8am-8pm, 7 days a week
• Faversham Cottage Hospital (No x-ray)
Bank Street, Faversham, ME13 8PR
Tel: 01795 562069
8am to 8pm, 7 days a week
Pharmacists are also trained to provide a range of support and advice, with no appointment needed. Details of pharmacies open on Monday are below:
• Boots, 12 Gravel Walk, Whitefriars Shopping Centre, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2TF. Tel: 01227 470944. Monday, 9am-6pm.
• Boots, Unit 2, Ten Perch Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3TQ. Tel: 01227 781369. Monday, 10am-6pm.
• Morrisons Pharmacy, Ten Perch Road, Wincheap, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 3TQ. Tel: 01227 766679. Monday, 9am-1pm, 2-6pm.
• Sainsbury Pharmacy, Kingsmead Road, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 1BW. Tel: 01227 463808. Monday, 9am-6pm.
• Tesco Stores Ltd, Crescent Road, Faversham, ME13 7AS. Tel: 01795 567547. Monday, 11am-4pm.
• Boots, 161A Station Road, Herne Bay, CT6 5NE. Tel: 01227 372792. Monday, 11am-noon.
Whitstable and Tankerton
• Sainsbury Pharmacy, Reeves Way, Chestfield, Whitstable, CT5 3QS. Tel: 01227 794545. Monday, 9am-7pm.